Newspaper Archive of
Hart Countys Newspaper News Herald
Horse Cave, Kentucky
December 15, 2016     Hart Countys Newspaper News Herald
PAGE 6     (6 of 18 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 6     (6 of 18 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
December 15, 2016

Newspaper Archive of Hart Countys Newspaper News Herald produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2018. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

A6 December 15, 2016 THE HART COUNTY NEWS-HERALD Barbour Murder Trial I Marci Adkins Kelsey Wallace Defense Attorney Ken Garret and Anthony Barbour By SAM TERRY Managing Editor Jobe Publishing, Inc. Two-year old Laynee Wallace's naked body was placed in a plastic bag, then a safe, and then dropped into a well on the family farm of Anthony Barbour who is accused of her killing. Last week, jurors and others in the courtroom watched a vid- eo of Laynee's body being brought out of the well by an FBI agent who testified that the safe had opened and the child's body was partially submerged in water. Agent Will Kurtz testified that once in the well, he managed to get the bag containing the corpse into a body bag and then cradled the body between his legs and his own body to protect it as he was raised up through the narrow passage out of the well. Hours of testimony by in- dividuals, review of audio tapes of interviews and video tapes of the recov- ery of the body and with Anthony Barbour com- bined to create a twisting and gruesome tale as the first week of Anthony Barbour's murder trial got underway in Barren Circuit Court. Barbour, now age 26, was charged with murder, abuse of a corpse, and tampering with physical evidence in the death of Laynee Wal- lace, the child of his girl- an audio tape of Barbour saying that he feels guilt over the death of Laynee Wallace and that she is in heaven because of him and that he feels sorry for everybody. In his open- ing statement, Gardner told jurors that on Satur- day, May 16, 2015, Bar- bour injected himself with methamphetamine and stayed up all night. He said that Laynee Wallace wokeup Sunday morn- ing, May 17 and the two of them went hunting for arrowheads on the farm. Gardner said Barbour told police when he was ap- prehended on May 25 that Laynee had fallen off of a bluff on the farm and that he had performed CPR on the child for about 30 minutes. Gardner said medical examiners will testify that there was no sign of CPR being per- formed on the body and that Laynee had suffered from injuries to her head and vagina. The timeline presented by Gardner indicates that Barbour told Kelsey Wal- lace that Laynee was at his sister's house and that she planned to spend the night there. Gardner told the jury that testimony will reveal that Laynee was already dead and that recordings of police inter- views reveal Barbour's version of the sequence of events following her death and Barbour's ar- rest. Kelsey Wallace testimony LEGACY FARMS CHRISTMAS OPEN HOUSE Saturday, December 17th 8:00 am - 12:00 pm 1709 South Jackson Highway Hardyville, KY 42746 270-528-6120 KY Proud Choice Angus beef, pork, lamb, chicken, fresh vegetables, spices, honey, wool products, soaps, handmade crafts, and morel Free local food samples. Holiday singing from Chloe Underwood 10-12 Cash/Credit]EBT Find us on Facebook and Instagram @legacybeefky '-UALITY IN$ CE introduces as a Licensed Insurance Agent For all your Medicare Supplement, Life Insurance or other Insurance needs, contact Sarah at: 270-670-1522 PO Box 478 I Horse Cave, KY42749 her to bed on Saturday night, May 16. When she awakened on Sunday morning, Barbour and Laynee were gone and that Barbour later told her Laynee was at his sister's home. Laynee's mother also tes: tiffed that on May 19, Bar- bour said he was going to pick up Laynee at his sis- ter's home, leaving with a backpack, and never came back. The follow- ing day - Tuesday, May 19 - Kelsey and her moth- er drove to pick up the child for an appointment but learned that Laynee had not been there. At that point, Kelsey went to the Glasgow Police De- partment to report Laynee missing but was told that since they technically lived in Monroe County, they couldn't handle the report. After going to the home of one of Bar- bour's friends and not finding him there, Kelsey returned home and called Kentucky State Police. According to Kelsey's testimony, while she was talking with KSP officials outside, Barbour drove by in their shared red Ponti- ac Sunfire. That led to a pursuit by KSP that ended when Barbour abandoned the car in a field and set in motion a days-long search for Barbour. Law enforcement per- sonnel from Barren and Monroe Counties, along with KSP and the FBI, conducted the search for Barbour. Testimony from witnesses and evidence showed that Barbour was apparently never far from the farm and that he ob- served police searching for him while he was hiding in wooded areas. Barbour broke into vari- ous residence, including the house he shared with Kelsey Wallace where he left a note on the refriger- ator stating that he wished his life had been taken rather than Laynee's. Gardner asked Kelsey, "Did you have anything to do with Laynee Wal- lace's death?" She re- sponded, "I did not. I did not hurt my child." Under cross-examination by Ken Garret-t, Barbo- ur's defense attorney, Kelsey Wallace failed to answer several questions, stating that she did not remember. Among those questions was if she had attended her sister's law school graduation, which she said she did not re- call. She further testified bour, asking her to iden- tify various objects and their locations, including a "ceramic camouflage 'Ride or Die' meth-snort- ing plate" she and Barbo- ur used for drugs. Cindy Wallace testimony Cindy Wallace, Kelsey Wallace's mother and Laynee's grandmother, gave testimony that con- flicted with her daugh- ter's account of the trip to find Laynee on May 19. Kelsey testified that she remained in the car while her mother went to the door to ask about Laynee at the home of Barbour's. friend. Cindy Wallace testified that both she and Kelsey went to the door. There was also conflict- ing testimony about who drove the car. Also testifying last week was Barbour's sister, Sha- na Briesche, who told jurors that she had met Kelsey Wallace twice when Anthony Barbo- ur visited. She said it was not unusual for her brother to visit her home frequently. Shana Bri- esche testified that Bar- bour was at her house on May 17 and asked for money; she said she gave him $20. She also not- ed that Barbour seemed sad and perhaps needed someone to talk to. Un- der cross-examination by Garrett, Shana said she and her brother talked about his need for a job as he had lost his job and gone through a divorce in which he had lost his wife, house, and car. Other witnesses Lance Briesche, Shana's husband testified that Barbour was sitting on the carport of his home as he left to go to work on May 17 and was surprised to see him. He noted that Barbour's pants were wet from the knees down. Larry Ballard testified that he knew Anthony Barbour through his son, Jonathan Ballard. He told jurors that Barbour visit- ed his home in Haywood on May 18 and was there for 2-2.5 hours. Hodges testimony Testifying on Thurs- day morning was KSP Trooper Lonnie Hodg- es, the trooper who first responded to the report of Barbour and Laynee missing. Hodges stated that he first visited Barbo- ur's father's home and a woman named Carla took him just over the Monroe County line to the house shared by Anthony Bar- bour and Kelsey Wallace and found another troop- er at that location. While the troopers were speak- ing with Kelsey, Anthony Barbour drove by and due to a hillcrest could not see' Barbour's car as they pur- sued him and lost track of him. Hodges told the jury that he checked with KSP Post 15 for updates and when he joined the search on Thursday, found the barn and a pile of ashes that seemed out of place. He Anthony Barbour said the area had various bushes and vines and did not notice the well where Laynee's body had been placed. Hodges' testimo- ny revealed that a cashier at the Temple Hill store verified that Anthony Barbour had been in the store on Sunday. Burton testimony, part 1 Thursday afternoon's pro- ceedings included testi- mony from Brantly (B.J.) Burton, a Kentucky State Police Detective. Burton said that he interviewed Kelsey Wallace twice in which she described calling people regarding Laynee's whereabouts find the events that led up to her reporting Laynee missing. He also inter- viewed Laynee's twin sis- ter, Kynlee. In the course of the interview he sug- gested to Kelsey Wallace that something may have happened to Laynee and Kelsey's response was one of surprise and got upset. Armed with a search war- rant, Burton searched the house shared by Barbo- ur and Kelsey Wallace, which he described for the jury, searching for clues. Photos made at the house at that time includ- ed a bottle of Lime-Away disinfectant which would later be a point of inter- est in future testimony. Another photo of a door showed a stain which was revealed to be blood but it was not tested. Per Button's testimony, Kelsey Wallace was in- terviewed a third time on Wednesday but noted that they had no reason to believe Kelsey was involved in Laynee's dis- appearance. He said that the contents of Kelsey's phone was downloaded by KSP. Burton told jurors that KSP learned that Barbour had called his mother and that when KSP traced the phone call, they learned it came from Barbour's uncle's house which Anthony Barbour had used a crow bar to enter. Upon further investiga- tion, KSP responded to an abandoned house they believed Barbour to be staying in and found an ammunition can contain- ing Laynee's blanket. Under cross-examination by Garrett, Burton to the jury that Barbour admit- ted disposing of Laynee's body in the well. McHenry testimony Kentucky State Police Special Agent McHenry testified that he was re- sponsible for download- ing data from Kelsey Wal- lace's cell phone which had been loaned to her by her mother. He told jury that the only saved con- tacts in the phone were: Amy, Home, Kelsey, Shannon, Teresa, Wal- lace Kenny, Willie, and Teresa. He also testified that the phone contained a text message from Heath- er, Kelsey Wallace's sis- ter who is an attorney in- structing Kelsey to report the car stolen and issue an Amber Alert. The phone, McHenry tes- tiffed, showed no activity on Sunday or Monday and not until 10:47 a.m. on Tuesday, the days that Laynee Wallace's where- abouts were unknown. Jurors also learned that a photo was made with the phone at 7:45 a.m. on Saturday of two children - one wearing a pink shirt and the other wearing a blue shirt. Bow testimony Barren County Sheriff's Deputy Adam Bow was called to the witness stand and told the jury that he was called to scene by Barren County Emergen- cy Management Director Tracy Shirley to assist in removing Laynee's body from the well. Bow re- counted for the jury that the well was deep with rocks stacked at the bot- tom while the walls were saturated with moisture and that rocks had the metal safe containing Laynee's body covered. He described how the rocks were removed from the well and noted that in the process he discovered the safe with the door side down and Laynee's body underneath the safe. Under cross-examination by Garrett, Bow said the safe was removed from the well at 6:05 p.m. and that the distance from the ground to water was about 17 feet. Bow said the last item he pulled from the well was the safe door. Kurtz testimony FBI Special Agent Will Kurtz from the Bowling Green office also testified and described his efforts to enter the well and the process of recovering Laynee's body. Kurtz told jurors that the hard- est part was at the bottom, See MURDERTRIAL continued on page 7